Re: Oarlocks for a P-15

Bill Blohm (bblohm@hpbs1686.boi.hp.com)
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:55:48 -0700

Well, I went to the nearest WW store on lunch. For $59.95 I can get
a 10' breakdown oar loom. To that I have to add a $34.95 blade,
which is also removable. This results in a three-part breakdown:
two parts for the oar, each about 5', and one for the blade, about
2' or so. With the overlap for the sections where they slide into
each other, that's about 11.5' from end of grip to tip of blade.
The weight wasn't too bad at all. It's heavy aluminum, strong
enough to jury rig a boom or mast if need be. Made for WW rafting,
so you know it's solid. Diameter is the same as the wood oars.
There are two sizes of blade available, normal narrow and one about
an inch or two wider. There's a longer blade as well. You can check
them out at this URL: http://riversports.com/oar.html

How would you attach the oars to the mast without blocking the
sail track? I'm not inclined to drill holes into the mast, but
that seems the only way. The only other alternative is to go
with the breakdowns, I think.

Bill B.
P-19 #454, Dream Catcher
Nampa, ID