Re: Centerboard Pin, cabin liner, porta potti

TillyLucy@aol.com
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 13:07:26 EST

In a message dated 12/27/99 8:12:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
preston@gencc.com writes:

> Wow. Christmas day, fog lifted by noon, breeze up to 10 mph (at best) and
> it got to 40 degrees. Launched little yellow boat (still working on a
name)
> for the first time, used the genoa and full main, lovely sail, few quick
> bursts of real scoot, but mostly just chuckling along. . .so:
>
> 1. This is a P-15, #1063, cabin liner appears to completely block access
> the bilge forward of the small storage compartments inside the hatch. I
> can't figure out how to get to the centerboard pin. Would like to
galvanize
> the painted centerboard but. . .how is this arranged? Magic access plate
> and I still need the password?

If your boat is constructed like mine (big "if"??) the centerboad pivot pin
(a bolt actually) is accessible via the storage compartments you mentioned
under the bunks. The bolt and nut are fiberglassed over - if you feel along
the base of the centerboard trunk you will encounter a "lump" on either side
at the forward end. The hardware is underneath. All that said, you DON"T need
to remove the pin to get the centerboard out. The centerboard has a "T" (my
boat) or "L" (others I've seen) shaped slot that permits the board to be
detached without disturbing the pin. I changed the pivot bolt on Tilly Lucy
after 12 years of salt water use and it was a waste of time. The wear and
corrosion on the pivot were minimal. The centerboard, on the other hand, was
badly in need of maintenance.

> 2. Why is the space under the liner inaccessible? Seems like cans of beef
> stew would fit in there just fine. . .or is it just too narrow a space?

The inaccessible portion is where the foam flotation is located.

> 3. So okay. . .everybody talks about porta potti's like they would work,
> but other than out in the cockpit, I haven't figured it out yet. Don't
have
> one to try, but good grief, somebody try (delicately) to describe the
> procedure!

The newer boats have a recess molded in the liner for a porta-potti and only
one storage compartment in the bilge. The older boats, which have a storage
hatch on either side, are not so porta-potti friendly. I bought something
called an "inflate-a-potty" for $15 dollars which allows one to confine their
waste to a plastic garbage bag while seated in the cabin. A plastic jar with
a large screw-on lid sees the most use. 'nuff said on that topic.

> 4. Transom drain. . .just goes straight through and is definitely perished
> plastic. . .so. . .is there anything that has to be worried about when I
try
> to replace it? Looks like a straight forward job of reaming out the
garbage
> and installing something better. . .is there a part number for a particular
> fitting to use?

I've used the plastic Sea-Fit 3/4" motorwell drain tube ($2.00 at West
Marine) with good results. Pre-cut the "male" part so it will be flush when
assembled. The "male" part goes in from the cockpit side then smack the
'"female" part on with a block of wood. Use plenty of sealant.

> Thanks to all.
>
> Ken Preston

Hope this helps,

Dave Kautz