Auto-inflatable PFDs

From: Eric Pederson (eric@nutfarm.org)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 14:06:33 PST

West Marine is discounting their house brand (made by SOSpenders) of
auto-inflatable PFDs. The discounted model is not USCG approved. Since
the USCG did recently approve some auto-inflatables, my wife called
West Marine to inquire about the difference. She was told that the
non-approved models are made of a fabric that will degrade under UV
radiation more quickly than the CG was happy with. The approved models
are made of a better material.

At US$89, we ordered one; I'd been looking for a good price and this is
great. The one I ordered includes a harness. They had a non-harness
model for a bit less, and a long model for a bit more. I believe the
sale is good through the end of January. It is in their most recent
mailing

--
Eric L. Pederson
P-19 #970, Necessity