RE: SAILING!! America's Cup 2000, going on NOW in New Zealand

From: Sayer, Chris (ChrisSayer@StratfordGroup.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 15:53:37 PST

I'm nationalistic enough to be hoping that ANY US team brings the cup home,
but I have to say that I'd love for it to be one of the San Francisco
syndicates. Having the Cup here in the Bay would lend itself to some very
interesting Pottering. Watching the damage being done to these lightly built
boats in 15-20 kt winds makes me think that they would have to build
considerably tougher vessels to compete here (Prada's was the third mast to
break since racing began, and Young America buckled her hull and almost
sank.) Sounds like they would need something a bit more seaworthy... Perhaps
the gang at IM should start drafting a Potter 75.

Chris Sayer
As yet unannounced contender for America's Cup 2003
P15, #2380, Akala