Americas Cup VS Pottering

From: Magico1@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 17:08:46 PST

    I have been staying up late the last couple of nights watching the races
in New Zealand.(Far too many commercials) Last night The Italian boat broke
their mast in only 15 knots of wind. Of coarse Italian cars break also, I
owned a Fiat once. But then I got to thinking, They lost a $600,000.00 mast
in only 15 knots of wind! Hell, I've been out in 40 knots with my Potter 15
and didn't break anything. And I could buy 120 Potter 15's for the cost of
one of their masts. And my Potter will tack faster than these boats, and I
don,t need any Gorillas on Grinders to do it. Last night one of the boats got
bumped and they repaired it with Duct tape. These guys learned this trick
from us budget boaters. And these guy's spend millions on their sails, and
they don't hold up as well as my plastic tarp covering my pickup when I go to
the dumps. These boats are so expensive that they have to get sponsors, who
stick their named all over the boat. They look like floating billboards than
sailboats. And they are only six knots faster than a Potter 19.
   Gosh, after twenty-six years of Pottering I haven't broke a mast, or
ripped a sail, but I do carry a roll of Duct Tape. I'll be watching again
tonight!

                            Jerry Barrilleaux HMS 18 Sunshine & P.14 Breezy