Re: PY Newsletter Editor Needed

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 18:15:06 PST

[...]
> Actually we wouldn't need the newsletter per se because all material would
> be on the web page. But I know there are still quite a few members who do
> not have Internet access and need the hardcopy newsletter. I doubt if we
> will be 100% Internet for some time yet.
>
> If we can generate Acrobat files, we could give members the option of
> electronic delivery. The Acrobat (pdf) files would be sent as e-mail
> attachments. That would reduce the printing and mailing cost and labor
> considerably. Those choosing E-delivery would have the benefits of prompt
> delivery, color, and search capability, and they could either print out the
> newsletter or read it on screen, and they would not have to file the paper
> version because it could be stored on disk.

It might be simpler to do it the other way -- assume that people would
view the articles in some electronic form, but produce printed copies
for those who don't have access to the net. With a little attention to
formatting it would be straightforward to print a master copy directly
from web pages, and then duplicate the master copy at kinkos, or
something like that.

In line with the notion of a rotating group of volunteers for the
newsletter, I am interested in pursuing the idea of a group of people
who would work on the web site. Some could work on producing a
newsletter from the web pages, some people could maintain our huge
collection of pictures (you did a marvelous job, Harry...), there are
sections on history, sailing tips, coming events, a database of potters,
and a number of other things that could be farmed out to people who
wanted to gain experience fiddling with web pages.

The site is quite large, and there is a lot that could be done on it
that I don't have time for. I like working on the site, but I would
really appreciate a little help.

> Perhaps you are right and the time has come for that. If we eliminated the
> newsletter mailing we could then eliminate membership fees, and then we
> would have no official membership. Would that be good or bad?

I have mixed feelings about that, but I think I lean toward "bad". I
don't care about the newsletter one way or another, really, but I think
even if we don't have a newsletter we should find some excuse to
collect dues and have a formal membership. Having a little money on
hand is an enabling force -- it helps make things like our "cruiser's
challenge" happen, and I think there is a widespread belief that it was
a Good Thing.

Kent
P19 "Peregrine"
SF Bay