Re: Dagger board

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 20:11:27 PST

The confusion seems to be between the big Potters and the little Potters.
There have been numerous P15 capsizes that have demonstrated the need to
secure the centerboard down. There have not been many instances of turtled
P19s. The only instance I know of is the example you mention, when a P19
was sailed off of a beach with the sails up and cleated and the keel up.
Still, if a P19 were to turtle (turn completely upside down) with the board
down but not secured, wouldn't that heavy keel be likely to fall crashing
through the cabintop?

Incidentally, there is an incomplete collection of Potter turtle tales on
the Potter Yachters web page <http://potter-yachters.org>.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA