Re: Tiller Extension for P15

From: GSTahoe@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 10:01:27 PST

lbaum@preferred.com writes:

<<
 First thoughts on it are:
         1. Fashion one from wood, probably fir.
         2. Attach it to existing tiller by through bolting or a clevis pin.
         3. Attach to top, bottom, or side of tiller?

 I would like to hear from those of you who have added an extension:
         1. How you did it and if you like it.
         2. If you bolted it to the tiller, where did you locate it: Top,
 botom, side?
         3. Any recommendations?

 Thanks.

 Lewis Baumstark
 P15
 Bristol, Tn.

Lewis,

M'thinks you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. A tiller extension is
too cheap and easy to buy to bother trying to fashion one. I can't remember
the brand I'm using, but it's pretty common. You can purchase one for
probably about ten bucks through any mail order chandlery such as West
Marine. They make several sizes, I'd recommend getting one that is long
enough that you can comfortably hold on to and be sitting against the cabin.
Mine is just about the same length as the tiller itself, so it effectively
doubles the length of the tiller. It just attaches with two fairly small
screws and has a rubber gooseneck thingy that allows the extension to swivel
anywhere. They do make telescoping extensions, but I've been advised against
them as they have a tendency to un-telescope at the wrong times.

I attached mine to the top of the tiller handle which allows me to flop the
extension back over the tiller handle when I don't want to use it. That
works fine.

As far as liking the extension, I feel it's one of those things that ought to
be standard but never is. I can sit comfortably anywhere in the cockpit. On
a smooth morning motoring, I'll even stand and strech my legs while steering.
 When solo sailing and having to reef, I can hold onto the tiller and tie in
my reef at the same time, although a few extra hands and arms would come in
handy at moments like that.

As long as you're putting on the extension, you might want to consider adding
a tiller tamer at the same time. Another really cheap item that's probably
easier to buy than rig. That I've attached to the bottom of the tiller so
that the tiller tamer and the tiller extension don't hit one another.

Geoff

P-15 Lollipop
Sail (hull?) number: 1961
N. Lake Tahoe, NV and