Headsail Changes on the P-15. . .singlehanded

From: Ken Preston (preston@gencc.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 11:03:21 PST

During a gust on Saturday afternoon I decided I wanted to get out of the
genoa into the working jib until I started looking at the foredeck from the
side deck viewpoint. . .and then decided maybe I'd be happy enough just
reducing to half the main and the genoa. . .which in fact worked just fine
and the breeze fell off again later and I shook the reef back out in time to
sail back to the boat ramp, but now I'd like to know more. I'm 200 pounds
without my wetsuit and the boat really seems to notice when I head toward
the foredeck. I've only just begun sailing the Potter after bigger boats
(and I was younger then anyway) so need a little direction here please.

Thanks,
Ken Preston,
P-15 #1063, Bainbridge Island, WA