RE: Beware - Nylon bolts for keel retention

From: Judith Blumhorst (drjudyb@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 23:56:21 PST

Jim,

Thanks for the data and calculations. My 1985 boat has a single bolt system
for keel retention, with the bolt passing sideways thru the trunk and keel.
I use a 5/16th inch nylon bolt, because there's some rust inside the hole
drilled in the keel, decreasing the size of the hole. I could get a 3/8" in
there if I clean up the rust with a drill bit.

Considering the acceleration due to gravity that would occur in a capsize,
what size nylon bolt would suffice to hold the keel and prevent it from
falling out of the inverted trunk? I think that's the minimum requirement
for strength. It's fine with me if it yields upon a fairly light bump. I
carry spare bolts.

When I damaged my keel trunk using a steel bolt as a retainer, it was a very
odd set of circumstances. First of all, I usually use only bungies to hold
down the keel but seas were very rough that day, so I used a bolt to prevent
any water from entering. Secondly, I used a steel retaining bolt, because I
couldn't find a nylon one.

It wasn't your typical situation of the keel hitting a rock with just the
leading edge. The boat actually sailed up and over a rock shaped like a
ramp, lifting the boat up a few inches with the boat resting on the keel. A
moment later, we sailed off the far side of the "ramp" and back into the
water. In this situation, only part of the boat weight was on the keel,
because the rest of the boat was still supported by water. The bolt didn't
break, and the keel rotated around the bolt thru the keel from the drag on
the rock, damaging a 1" x 1.5" area at the top front corner of the keel
trunk.

For my lockdown design (one bolt sideways thru the trunk and keel), I think
it would be better to have the single bolt break well before 1200 pounds of
weight it on it. For others who have the keel with the 4 flip up bolts, do
you think multiple small bolts would be best?

BTW, I usually use trucker-strength bungies to hold down my keel, and dont
even bother with the bolt unless the seas are very rough. I worry that
they're not stong enough. I think an anchor snubber for a small boat would
be a better idea. It's designed to absorb shock loads without breaking and
yet stretch to absorb the impact. Or a short length of line with a little
slack in it, but that wouldn't keep water from entering when seas are rough.
Just a thought.

Fair winds,
Judy B