Re: Anchoring out with centerboard up/trailering with a 4stroke motor

From: CHARLIE (charlies-haus@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 16:16:16 PST

201151620

Bob:

        I trail 100 miles or less w/a Honda 8hp, 4stroke(85#s+/-, hvy duty
mount
w/backing plate) on a Baja trailer, good roads, no problems.

        Don`t recommend it though, since everyone on the net(and IM AFTER I
bought the rig from them) advised against it... I finally got a 2hp Honda,
4stroke(30#+/-); actually, the 8 was just too much power for the 19 and it was
a 'gut buster' moving it on or off. The 2 drives the boat at hull speed +/-,
at 1/3rd throttle(hasn`t been broken in yet), on the tidal Potomac and C-bay.

        Leaving any boat 'Anchored' in Tidal waters is an interesting
exercise. What is the greatest tidal range, will you anchor or 'Moor', will
you remove all the top-hamper, what will you do about 'Chafe' on the
mooring/anchor lines, what kind of bottom will the boat rest
on(rocks/debris/oyster shell, etc., can be rough on the bottom as the boat
grounds/lifts) are you on a tidal tributary or 'open' water, how will you
protect against ice, are you insured for anchoring out, will you be able to
have good daily or constant oversight on the site? Theft and vandalism are
problems in unprotected moorings.

        Europeans leave just about all boat sizes to 'dry out on the hard'
w/standing rigging in place, but usually in protected anchorages with soft
bottoms.

        I have seen a number of boats on moorings at boat yards in the C-bay
area, but they were in very protected wx/deep water and security conditions.

        Wonder if any Potter have personal experience in the practice.

        Like to her what you decide and how you fare.
72 y Paz Grover

At 05:35 PM 1/15/00 +0000, you wrote:
>I have a Potter 19 which I intend to anchor in tide water. When the
>tide is out the boat will be sitting flat on the bottom therefore I will
>have to keep the center board up. In the area where I anchor the wind
>and waves get rather strong at times. If I were to leave the mast up
>could the boat turn over. If anyone has had this experience I would
>like to know how stable the boat might be in this condition.
>In IM's web site they recommend that you do not trailer your P19 with a
>4-stroke motor mounted on the motor mount. My motor weights around
>58lbs and being a 4-stroke must be carried in an upright position.
>Has anyone trailered their boat with this weight on the motor mount?
>Any problems? I have a backing plate installed for the motor.
>Bob Kniese
>Duanesburg,ny
>P19 J900
>DOVIE

72 y Paz from the Crew of the SV HA`PENNY WWP-19 #965
Doris Captain/Navigator KE4CYE
GROVER Sailing Master/Deck-Ape KQ4AL
Cole`s Pt. Plantation Marina, Cole`s Pt., VA