Re: Self Steering

From: Bill Combs (ttursine@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 22:03:48 PST

> on 1/15/00 11:57 PM, The Costas at uffda@sonic.net wrote:

> a local Cal 20 sailor
> explained to me that using one is like tying down the jib sheets. This is
> something that most SF bay (small boat) sailors are loathe to do because of
> the strong (and fluky at times) wind conditions that exist here.

Larry, Larry, Larry, listen not to the faint of heart! ;-)

I appreciate the caution & have my autopilot arranged such that a quick flip
of the wrist can physically disengage it, just as the active jibsheet can be
one-flip released ... both, of course, only if I'm in the cockpit. The major
beneficial effect I've noted is that I can be comfortable for long periods
because the available postures are not limited to those which allow a hand
to be kept on the tiller.

And, yes, big, sudden, out-a-weird-direction gusts can initiate a regulation
Chinese firedrill, but I've never really gotten in serious trouble.

Regards,
Bill Combs

--
WWP 19 #439 (Aug 1987) "Ursa Minor"