RE: Sailing at Dana Point CA on Saturday

From: Tiffany, Doug (TiffanyD@phibred.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 15:44:16 PST

Potterer's,

My experience has been that the full Genoa is great for downwind performance
to maybe a beam reach. However as I sail closer to the wind it needs to be
reefed to the size of a working jib to reach maximum pointing ability (track
on the side deck and sheets on the outsides of the shrouds).

On boats this light, weight distribution can always be an overriding factor.
I can get my tiller tamer set nicely on most points of sail, but as soon as
I shift any weight forward, she bears off. Works much nicer on downwind
tracks.

I like the Genoa and use a whisker pole downwind, my weight is 180, I have a
bow rail, and I normally sail with at least one crew member of 120-170 lbs.

Doug Tiffany
WWP-19 #1067, BONILEA