Re: Genoa vs. Working jib

From: SolarFry@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 08:08:03 PST

In a message dated 1/17/00 11:10:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
cwestlake@k-w-b.com writes:

<< I have been following the discussion of the Dana Point Genoa vs. working
 jib thread, and it seems most of this discussion relates to 15's. I
 have a a 19 and I wonder if anyone out there concurs with these
 observations. I am confused. I was always under the assumption that a
 genoa was better in light winds. I would appreciate it if someone could
 straighten me out on this.

 Curt Westlake
 WWP 19 #1096
 "True Love"
 Greenville, SC

On winds between 1mph and 5 mph my 3.2 oz. laminated 150 % genny beats my
lapper by a GPS speed of 1 MPH. I sit on downwind side to force shape of
genny, lapper and mainsail. In addition I have a stand up 3/8" line block
attached to rear of handrails for reaching close to wind. In my case,
reaching is not affected by type of sail. Both sails point as high. In
addition i use topping lift to shape mainsail. On winds over 5 MPH my Genoa
beats my Lapper on speed by 1.5 - 3 MPH according to GPS. On winds over 10
MPH I prefer the Lapper. Genny seems to overpower P19 over 12 MPH. Too much
lean! Over the water speed is better with lapper (windspeed >12MPH) as
indicated by GPS.

Trim, location of weight aboard and sail trim affects speed about 3/4 MPH to
1MPH at low wind velocities( 1 to 7 MPH windspeed).

Obviously other sailors with different trim and genoa weight/gear will
observe different results.

Since most of the time wind speed is somewhere around 12 - 16 MPH in summer,
I do not get to use the genny too much. Most of use is in winter when wind
dies down to 0 - 8 MPH.

Best
Solar Fry
member Florida Potter Club on the internet
West Wight Potter 19 # 1028, "Elusive Margin"
Sovereign 13 # 12393, "Solar Fry"
Sunbird 201 # 2W0040, "Volatility"
Pompano Beach, FL
Hillsboro Inlet Weather: Temp 58 F
Partly Cloudy, wind NE 0 - 8 MPH, Seas 4 - 6'
e-mail -> solarfry@aol.com