Re: GELCOAT

From: Lars S. Mulford (mulford@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 13:31:34 PST

> Has anyone in the group purchased gelcoat from IM? I am interested in fixing
> up a few damaged spots and wondered how easy this job is and is it necessary
> to order from IM or could you get some at a marine store? Since it's
> considered hazardous material the freight costs more than the gelcoat. Just
> wondered if it was worth it.

Jim:

When I started patching up the gelcoat on "Always", my first call was to IM.
They could not provide the color match for my boat. I was told that every boat
(with the hull color option) is somewhat custom in its color and that I'd have
better luck matching it myself. I bought the necessary gelcoat repair kit from
Boaters World and did it myself. Total cost was under $25.

It wasn't that hard to do it, but you definitely want a well ventilated area to
work in when you do it.

--
"Sea" ya!

--Lars S. Mulford, President East Coast Potter Association (ECPA) Come visit us at http://members.tripod.com/~SpeedSailor s/v Always P15 #2125, lateen rig, sailing greater Chesapeake region "Forgive, and live. Life is worth the challenge of living." --LSSM "Love is good; Love hurts; Love sustains; Love remains." --LSSM