Re: Foresail change/dynamic tuning methods

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 10:36:38 PST

>3. Separate foresail from forestay (not hanked on) supported by
>tension between jib halyard and block near point of attachment of
>forestay to deck. Block allows foot of sail to be moved back to
>cockpit so sail changes can be made without leaving cockpit.
>Ingenious, but increased tension on P15 side stays and compression on
>mast might lead to rigging failure. It might also be necessary to
>beef up the jib's edges to handle the increased tension on the sail
>required to maintain its shape. There is a possible benefit in that
>the jib's center of effort might be tunable (fore-aft) with this rig.
>

>Robert Skinner, robert@140.com, Rockville, MD 20850
>'87 Potter 15 HMS #1618 "Little Dipper"
>ECPA http://members.tripod.com/~SpeedSailor

I may be missing something, but I don't see why there would be any
increased tension on the jib luff. Normally the halyard is pulled hard
anyway to reduce luff scalloping of a hanked on sail. You wouldn't be able
to pull the tack line any tighter than the halyard unless you used a winch
or block and tackle. I think the forestay tension will generally be greater
than the halyard tension. That is why you still get some scalloping no
matter how hard you pull the halyard. If not hanked on, the jib luff will
be curved slightly when sailing, with probably some loss of efficiency, but
it would probably not make a noticeable difference on a P15. My jib,
incidentally has a wirerope in the luff, which could probably handle as
much tension as the forestay. Newer jibs may not have the wire, so luff
stretch may be more of a problem (hanked on or not)..

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA