Dinghy Building

From: Dennis W. Farrell (dfarrell@ridgecrest.ca.us)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 14:55:42 PST

Gretchen: In case you're not already aware, the second most expensive way
to get a small boat is to build one. I assume you're looking for enjoyment
and constructive time with Erin, not minimum cost <G>. It's a worthy goal.

I don't know what tools and skills you have or have available, but I suggest
(make that strongly suggest) that you look at Phil Bolger's designs. The
best place to look on-line is probably at
     http://www.instantboats.com/ this is Harold Payson's site, not
Bolger's. Look under "plans" for the following two:
     Elegant Punt [7'9" x 3'7"]
     Tortoise [6' 5" x ?]
Payson's book "Instant Boats" has building information and study plans and
is worth reading whatever you decide to build. It should be available on
interlibrary loan. If not, I can lend you my copy (providing I can find it)
so you can tell whether you want to buy one - about $20.

Look also at Bolger's "Brick" at
http://www.common-sense-boats.com/boats/Multi_Purpose_Boats/brick.htm

Make no mistake: these boats attach far more importance to function than to
aesthetics. But they work. I've sailed an Elegant Punt, and it was great
fun. They are *easy* to build, and pretty quick and cheap on top of it. I
think you could use or modify a no-longer-competitive windsurfer sail if
you watched the location of your centers (Judy B may know of sources). Or
don't sail, just row.

Also look at http://www.apci.net/~michalak/ for Jim Michalak's designs in
the same genre.

Let me know if I can help more.