Re: Leaking plastic gas cans

From: Dennis W. Farrell (dfarrell@ridgecrest.ca.us)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 09:21:07 PST

I've also had problems with plastic gas cans "leaking". In every case I've
traced it down to the fact that the can was pressurized either from heating
up or from change in altitude. It's primarily due to the fact that the
filler tube is inside the can when not in use. When the can pressurizes,
gas is forced back up the tube and through the gasket or through the center
plug in the screw-on cap. The fix is simple. First, don't fill the can so
full that it sloshes out the vent. Second, open the vent just enough so that
when you press in on the sides of the container you can hear air exhausting
from the vent cap

  -- dwf