Sailing the "big boats"

From: chris.beatty (chris.beatty@bankofamerica.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 09:41:53 PST

Dave,

I couldn't agree more! A friend of mine taught me a saying which I find
appropriate here: "All sailing is good; some's just better than others." Side
point, we used it for more that sailing: "beer", "fishing",.... all kinds of
vices fit here.

Your point #1 regarding time-to-rig. WOW, I was blown over! We got to the
docks at 10:00 and didn't set sail until 12:30. Granted these skippers were
ma-tic-u-lous. But I didn't notice any "fancy" rigging that would chew up
time. It was a great lesson for me to see the boat slipped and yet have all
that time to set the running rigging, hank on sails, stow away gear in the
cabin, etc. etc. Now I know we weren't in any rush, but it occurred to me that
even if you were going to rush to get on the water, there is at least an hour,
maybe more, to get those boats out to sail safely!

All your other points I can't really offer an opinion on, as I haven't sailed
enough different boats in different winds to know,... yet. But my hunch is, my
P-19 was the perfect choice for me!

One other interesting observation from our guest skippers,... I thought we had
really fair wind for our sail. Yet, they indicated that there were only a
couple of "exciting" times. Exciting to them was heeling. Something about
that tells me that if that is the thrill of sailing to you than you would
choose a boat differently (Kinda like Pearce Brosnen in "The Thomas Crown
Affair" on his racing Cat.)

Chris Beatty
(soon) P-19, #TBD, Name: TBD
Alameda, CA