Re: Unidentified subject! - flotation

From: Robert Skinner (robert@140.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 12:34:11 PST

Sir -

I agree with your rule-of-thumb calculations. Note that I didn't say
the job would be done quickly. Just that it was possible. Re the
drain plug in the skeg: Certainly functional, and I have seen them
used on the right coast, but I was advised against installing it in my
boat by experienced sailors for some practical reasons:

1. Any hole in a hull that is not absolutely required is one too many
-- basic policy.

2. When beached, the action of the sand, etc. might dislodge,
distort, or otherwise damage the plug. Having watched Little Dipper
on the beach on a choppy day, I'm a believer.

Hence the use of an internal bailing hatch/port in the cockpit floor
-- and patience.

VR

Robert Skinner, Rockville, MD
'87 Potter 15 HMS #1618 "Little Dipper"