Re: Flotation and more dire news

From: Jim Nolan (panache426@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 17:15:47 PST

Bill:
The valves were on the inside of the tubes, jammed way under the cockpit.
Speaking of salvage: A person who rescues/salvages a stranded boat (turtled
P-15) is entitled to renumeration under Maritime salvage laws. I've seen
wording such as "generous renumeration to encourage rescue efforts". The
section of the US code that I believe applies is at:

http://law2.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastweb.exe?getdoc+uscview+t45t48+914+1++%28salvage,%20re

In other words if you turtle your boat and you are rescued, the rescuer may
be entitled to a percentage of the value of your boat for salvage and
additional renumeration for saving your life.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable in law can expand on this.

Jim Nolan P-19 #426 Panache