Re: Some assembly required

From: GSTahoe@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 08:23:09 PST

writes:

<< then the line that is intended
 to secure the kick-up rudder in the down position would be slack and would
 not serve its intended purpose. >>

Oh! That's why it's important to clairfy whether you're talking about a 15
or a 19. My P15 came with the rudder/tiller assembled. That may be
different from year-to-year. My P-15 is about five or seven years old (I lost
track). I don't think any P-15 comes with rudder hold-down lines unless IM
started doing that recently. There are a variety of ways that individual
sailors have set up hold downs for their rudders.

I do know that the first time I set off to use my P-15 when I first got it, I
grabbed what I thought was everything, got down to the lake, rigged the boat
and then realized I'd forgotten the rudder which was laying back home in my
yard. I was so excited about using the boat that I put it in the water
anyway and just motored in circles. Since I was motoring in circles in MY
new boat, it was still a wonderful afternoon. Now, years later, I do remember
the rudder, although now the rudder is in the second stage of delamination.
I wouldn't be surprised if some day it breaks and I'm once again motoring in
circles.

Geoff

P-15 Lollipop
Sail (hull?) number: 1961