Re: P-15 Sailors Ahoy

From: GSTahoe@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 16:48:02 PST

In a message dated 1/30/00 2:17:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dfarrell@ridgecrest.ca.us writes:

<< I've asked for a fair amount of information, but please keep it as brief as
 possible because I hope to somehow summarize what I learn. -- dwf >>

Have sailed my P-15 Lollipop in all conditions for about eight season's on
Lake Tahoe. I have endured winds that, according to the NOAA radio
broadcasts, where in excess of 60 knots, at that point under bare pole and
motoring. Going into 6 foot plus white-capped chop can be jarring. Running
with the same chop it is possible to ship some water over the transom, but
not so much that it won't drain. Having the chop hit slightly off the beam,
she makes excellent and dry headway. The only time I felt that I was truly
in over my head is when there was lightning all around.

It has been said many times on this list that the diminutive Potter can take
a lot more than the skipper. That is probably true of many boats.

I, personally, think the only way you could capsize a P-15 would be doing
something really, really dumb or having a catastrophic equipment failure,
i.e., losing your centerboard in a storm, which I've never heard of
happening, but could certainly happen on any boat. Even destroyers and
freighters sink. There's no such thing as a guarantee. The people on the
Titanic thought the life vest drill was a waste of time.

Geoff

P-15 Lollipop
Sail (hull?) number: 1961
N. Lake Tahoe, NV and