Re: P-15 Sailors Ahoy

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 21:21:34 PST

Here's my report:

In the 30 years I've been sailing my Potter 14, I have never capsized.
I attribute this record mainly to two things:

1. I am always aware that it can be capsized. (It is, after all, just a 14
ft dinghy with a cabin.)

2. I have managed to avoid severe conditions that I could not handle.

I could add a few more reasons:

3. I can't swim.

4. I've been lucky.

5. I avoid sailing on Del Valle Reservoir and near the Golden Gate.

6. I currently have a 45 lb battery strapped down on each side of the
centerboard trunk, which provides 90 lb of additional stabilizing ballast
as well as power for my 24 V MinnKota. If I should turn turtle, the wetcell
batteries will leak all their sulfuric acid into the cabin, which gives me
additional incentive to avoid a capsize.

7. For the past couple of years I have been using a lateen rig, which has a
lower center of effort and flexible spars that make it less tender than a
stock Potter, and I have only one sheet to release when a gust hits and
only one halyard when I need to lower sails. Since the rig is unstayed, I
can release the sheet and let the sail stream downwind without interference
from sidestays. Like my alternate gunter rig, the main is lowered on a yard
so there is no problem of the sail sticking in a track when being lowered.

8. I rarely carry more than two people in the boat.

Precautions I take, but haven't needed:

1. When the wind pipes up and/or the water gets rough, I tie down the
centerboard and close the hatch.

2. I installed a 1-1/2-inch cockpit drain (but have never taken water into
the cockpit)

3. I filled the area under the forward bunk deck with pour-in flotation
foam and also added some in a space just forward of the lazarette. I intend
to add more flotation under the seats and possibly along the sides of the
cabin. (My first generation P14 does not have a liner.) A previous owner
lined the cabin overhead with cork squares.

4. I installed a folding ladder on the transom.

5. I wear a life jacket at all times when on the water and require the same
of passengers and crewmembers..

You didn't ask, but I haven't fallen overboard yet either.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA