Re: P19 Rigging - Traveler?

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 19:12:14 PST

>>Having not received my P-19 yet, I have been sailing on some larger boats
which

>>have traveler configurations on the stern. My memory can't recall the rigging

>>on the P19. Is there a traveler? If not, is there a similar way to
>>adjust/shape the sails? Are there configuration changes that folks have
>>made/recommend to the factory rigging to achieve similar goals of a traveler?

>>Feel free to refer me to articles, as long as they are in the "Many Ways to

>>Potter" packet sent out to new Potter Yachters. It's loads of information
that

>>I haven't completed yet!

The P19 doesn't come with a traveler arrangement. I haven't yet figured out

an elegant way to implement one. The problem with the usual obvious methods

is that since the P19 uses end-boom sheeting, a traveller there would get in

the way of the tiller handle. You could raise a traveler track above the tiller

handle, but the would greatly complicate attaching and detaching the rudder

and tiller.

A lot of tiller boats get around this by sheeting further forward on the boom,

but i think that would be impractical on a P19, since it would chew up a lot

of cockpit space.

It would be nice though - the traveler allows the mainsheet to control mostly

just leech tension, while the traveler car position adjusts angle of attack

or the sail, and there are lots of situations where you want to control these

separately. I think a proper traveller arrangement would squeeze another degree

or two of pointing ability.

You can approximate the results you'd get with a traveler by buying a decent

boom vang and using it to control leech tension and using the mainsheet for

angle of attack. But with that arrangement its still hard to get a centerline

boom position with out a tight leech.

http://www.nwlink.com