Re: Heavy seas - Was this an inappropriate question?

From: Kellan Hatch (kellan_hatch@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 21:14:03 PST

Larry,

I started this thread with no intention of it ballooning like this. And
yes, it was a 'what if' question. In my case, what if I'm caught in a
severe storm on the Great Salt Lake where the marina entrance is very
narrow, made of huge boulders and has a 90 degree turn in it. There are
only 2 small marinas on the 80 mile-long lake and they're about 25 miles
apart, so it's not hard to find yourself inconveniently far from home if
you're cruising. The advice given by the Coast Guard is 'don't make for the
marina - the entrance is too trecherous- ride it out'. I was just hoping to
get some sage advice on the best way to ride it out in a Potter if I do find
myself caught unawares by something that I haven't experienced before. But I
seem to have stirred up the bees. Maybe this topic has been done to death
before I joined the list, or maybe it just shows my ignorance. My original
question was simply, 'What's best in a Potter: Bow-to, stern-to, lying ahull
or hove-to?" Maybe everyone else on the list knows all of the answers, but
I don't and that's why I participate.

Kellan Hatch
P-19 #1059, Moondance
Murray, Utah