Re: P-19 cockpit capacity - gallons

From: Jim Nolan (panache426@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 16:16:23 PST

>From: "Eric Johnson" <etj@nwlink.com>
>To: "Jim Nolan" <panache426@hotmail.com>, wwpotter@tscnet.com
>Subject: Re: P-19 cockpit capacity - gallons
>Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:29:32 +0800
>
> >Very rough estimates show the capacity of the P-19 cockpit is about 36
>cubic
>
> >feet (6 x 1 x 1 above each bench, 6 x 2 x 2 in the well). 36 cubic feet
>is
>
> >62,208 cubic inches which is about 264 gallons.
>
>Thats about what i figured (i think i guessed 32) but for kicks I'll do
>some
>actual measurements later.

This is encouraging.

> >When flooded to the brim the
> >cockpit will hold about 2200 lbs of water. With this weight so high in
>the
>
> >boat, how will it handle? Will this water weight overcome the righting
> >moment of the keel?
>
>I think in reality, however, you couldn't fill it to the brim. The only
>reasonable
>way it could fill like that is a massive wave over the stern (which might
>knock
>you over anyways), and since there would obviously be waves, the rocking of
>the boat would immediately spill dozens of these gallons over the sides
>(and
>probably stern).

Absolutely. The more it heeled, the less water you would have to worry
about. Obviously this water won't cause the boat to flip, once it was on its
side it would all drain out.

> >A one inch drain system will take about 26 minutes to
> >drain the cockpit. A 4" scupper will clear it in less than two minutes.
>
>did you take into account the 2' head you'd have in this scenario? (yes or
>no
>is fine, I don't need to see the calculus :) Anyone have any ideas for a
>drain
>system for a P19 of larger than 1.5"? seems to me to go any larger you'd
>almost
>have to make the P19 drain go straight out the transom from the back of the
>cockpit well, like a P15 does, rather than down through the sole. I'm not
>sure
>how you'd valve a 4" hole!

My estimate did not take into account true head of the boat. I used the 6"
head from the previous table. I'd like to see a 4" drain too. I'll look
around and see what turns up.

>I guess multiple 1.5" drains would help too. But I think this is more of a
>theoretical
>problem than a practical one for most of us. A wave big enough to do that
>the boat is likely to knock it over (emptying what it filled), or crush the
>boat completely.

If the waves got that big for me, the cockpit would be full of something
brown.

>Sometimes on this list we're like Yugo owners contemplating our vehicle's
>performance
>in the Daytona 500...

Ah yes! But what proud Yugo owners! Isn't it fun!?

>Maybe when I get some free time I'll block my drain, flood my footwell with
>a known quantity of water, then measure the time it takes to drain.

I'm very interested in your results.

Jim Nolan P-19 #426 Panache