Re: Bodega Bay

From: The Costas (uffda@sonic.net)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 10:26:54 PST

Jay

Opinion only..

I have never sailed in Bodega Bay, but have kayaked there in the area by
Doran park. I think you would be OK as long as you didn't stray over the
reef or too close to the shore. I have never seen the sneaker waves that
happen on the reef, but know that they have gotten big enough to take out a
60 foot fishing boat. Also, it is important to realize that the sand bar
extends about a half mile beyond (north of) the tip of Point Reyes. A few
boats have been caught by waves because they thought they were well clear of
the sand bar when they were right on top of it. Another thing to remember
is, when the storms come out of the south, the normally protected part of
the bay (north end) can become quite messy and might make entering the mouth
of the harbor a bit interesting.

I don't know why I never took Happy Camper out there... I always meant to.

Larry