RE: Outriggers/pontoons for Potters

From: Ken Preston (preston@gencc.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 15:04:54 PST

My first response was purely humorous, but. . .if anybody is serious, take a
look at the various outriggers made by Easy Rider Canoe and Kayak of
Seattle. . .pretty sleek, in a couple of lengths. Our much higher freeboard
would force us to a recurved outrigger rather than their straight tubular
arrangements. The lashups are very flexible but the video footage they have
(voluminous) is impressive. . .makes mighty good looking sailboats out of
kayaks and canoes. I suspect the forces with a Potter would be much larger
somehow. . they use small sails mounted low on the canoes (their biggest is
32 square feet, but they use 2 such sails for a larger kayak) and obviously
the center of effort is lower. You might not want to pay their prices for
components. . .it looks like $900 for each of 2 12.5' pontoons and another
$700 for the outrigger poles and associated hardware. . .or some such.
Their web page is almost non existent but gives some phone and fax numbers.
The owner, chief designer etc is the guy who started the place 25 years (or
more) ago. www.easyriderkayaks.com.

I still like my P-15 as a Potter. . .might try to convert a canoe to sail
with an outrigger though. .

Ken P.
P-15 #1063