Re: P15 turtle

From: The Costas (uffda@sonic.net)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 08:00:23 PST

    John

    You are asking quite a bit for a 500 lb 14 ft boat.... any 14 ft boat!

    Here goes:

    1. ...are (P-15s) self righting in a blowdown to 90 degreas with 2 ocupants and a motor ? As with all dingies, it depends on what the two ocupants do. The boat by itself will self right, but add two novices (or worse yet, big boat sailors) and the little Potter is going to continue on over into a turtle. After all, even a hundred pounds holding onto the mast will overpower the 75 lb centerboard.

    2. ...can (P-15s) cary 4 persons and a 4hp motor for day trips on semi protected water? I think the record is 11 people, but (depending on the weight of the four people) I think yes. You will have to plug the cockpit drain, and it will be a little tight, and I wouldn't 'sail' with that many on board, but as long as the weather doesn't go bad on you it can be done.

    3. Would a 20 liter(12 gal.)water contaner in the cockpit help with trim or would this be a grose overload? Why would you want to add more weight to the cockpit? If you ment to the cabin, it could only help.

    JMHO Larry

    New to list;Q.With all this talk about 15s turtleing,are they self righting in a blowdown to 90 degreas with 2 ocupants and a motor ?Also can they cary 4 persons and a 4hp motor for day trips on semi protected water?Would a 20 liter(12 gal.)water contaner in the cockpit help with trim or would this be a grose overload?
      Looking for a boat with a little more capasity and milder maners in typical gusty conditions.
    JOHN
    Northern Ontario,Canada
    13'ENTERPRISE (similar to CL14)and 9'dinghy sailer tired of getting dround.