Head sails and Roller furling

From: Thomas Bodine (tbodine@onr.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 18:56:16 PST

Hi

        I was wondering. I have been reading "The Moonshine Logs". The author has
sailed across the Atlantic a few times and sailed from New Jersey to the
Bahamas as
well.

Now I have read at least a couple of sailing books. These fellows are
constantly changing sails. The author says he is much happier now that he
carries a roller furled Jib on his cutter rigged yacht.

What happens if you are caught out in fifty to hundred mph gale and you've
got the roller sail mounted? Should it come loose as things always seem to
be doing in these books then you'd be sunk. Can the larger roller furled
sails be taken down?

How does a partially furled sail compare to a storm jib or trisail?
# Regards Thomas L. Bodine @
# Senior Systems Admin `-|-'
# Dancing to the music life has given me. ,^.
# http://www.onr.com/user/tbodine