Re: wwpotter-d Digest V00 #37

From: Bill Wallace (billw@rdmcorp.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 06:26:29 PST

These limitations were all true of the first generation roller booms, but
modern
roller booms are (apparently) much better. They keep much better (still not
perfect though) sail shape, and some allow normal attachments to the boom.
Most, however, require a HARD boom vang, that is one that supports as well
as pulls down on the boom. The newer ones are also much more expensive
and on a Potter 19 it probably isn't worth the cost when jiffy reefing is
so easy.
If you install 2 jiffy reefing systems, then you get 2 reef points. If
you ever expect
to need more than that, you will probably want to change sails as it will
be VERY
rough. (You can probably sail on just the main, albeit with extra weather
helm,
or with a tiny jib (trysail?))

The jib reefers, however, are wonderful (emptor caveat - I have only sailed on
a Siren 17, not a Potter). The only problem there is pointing in very low
winds
(which is not something I usually care about as I am usually moored by the time
the winds drop around where I sail.)