Re: p-19 capsize

From: Marilyn Dimson-Doyle (mddoyle@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 07:26:02 PST

Hi Eric,
    Sounds like you had a great time out there. Thanks for the telling.
Being new to Pottering, I would like to know how the lapper works relative
to a jib and relative to a genoa. We just bought a P-19 and it has the
standard jib. I recall reading somewhere that to get good power from a P-19
one should have a genoa. What is your take on this?
    Also, what would have been your next step if the wind was too strong for
a single reef and the lapper? Would you switch headsail or strictly sail
with a headsail? I read one story (out of the IM sales) of someone on
another boat being bounced around, getting wet, and seeing a Potter under
headsail only heading up with relative ease.
    Lastly, in burying the rail on a Potter is that an okay place to be or
are you in the red zone of potential capsize? I can bury the rail on my
little 14 footer but it is not where I would want tostay. Just a shade
flatter and it feels fine. Just trying to get some kind of comparison of
what are the boundaries.
I am just curious about your experiences. So thanks.
Alan
P-19"?"