Re: How a keel boat recovers from a turtling.... kids,don't try this at home...

From: SolarFry@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 06:37:31 PST

Sorry!

{:^)

Sometimes I cannot help myself... <G>

Read comments in body of message below...

Lotta <SNIP> going on...

In a message dated 2/17/00 3:25:47 AM Pacific Standard Time,
backforty2@lisco.com writes:

<< I have never heard of a good solid full keel cruising boat staying turtle
due to sails. >>

Granted. But, not many of those "good solid full keel cruising boats" go out
racing regardless of weather. The majority of them are awesomely slow... Your
P15s or P19's see more sailing in one summer than majority of these "yachts"
see in a lifetime. P15/19s can probably sail rings around them...

<< Giovanni's boat has a "swinging keel" that would allow him to right it if
he should capsize. These boats are just giant ballasted dinghies. >>

I believe both boats came from the same designer... Autissier's boat had a
cantilevered (swinging) keel. It did not help because all sails were up at
the time of rollover, mast filled with water and boat had a very wide beam.
Mast full of water plus raised sails kept her from completing a rollover.
Water is ballast! You cannot believe how heavy a 70 ft. mast can get filled
with water or how heavy a thousand square feet of wet sail can be. (Quite a
statement for a foam filled mast! ) She probably was unable to release sails
after boat went upside down. Remember the first thing you do to recover from
a knockdown is release your sheets. Let go them darn lines! Otherwise there
is no recovery possible. She probably would of had no problem with a
knockdown.

If a vessel does not complete rollover before mast fills with water she
probably will never right.

knockdown = sails in or under water but vessel not upside down

rollover = full 360 degree beam roll with mast going vertical under water and
keel sticking up pointing at sky.

turtle = (i think) mast stuck in mud and keel pointing at the sun.

I'm going out there and injecting foam into my mast this instant! {:^)

<< There are many good strong boats under 30 foot in lenghth that have sailed
the worlds oceans >>

Personally I think they are just lucky.. Open rowboats have crossed oceans.
I think some dude did so in a 6' eggshell!

Sufing down a huge wave then watching same wave break over boat while boat is
heeling 75 - 89 degrees is no longer my idea of fun. I have been converted to
a fair weather sailor. Plus I notice winds over 30MPH make my sail panels
balloon between seams. I'm sure it's not good fer them...

<< If I ever get a P-19 I think a fixed steel shoal keel would be best for
me. No trunk and the weight is always were you want it.>>

Ah!

We share a dream...

NO trunk, No leaks, no stubbed toes, no skinned shins or painfull muscle
sprains...

Electric winches...

Pressure controlled cam cleats that let go of sheets automatically at a
preset pressure level... Now there's a thought!

Electric roller furlers... Hummm... Whirrrrrrr...

Air conditioning...

Self cleaning hulls... Now there's an idea!

Sun sensing, self dimming biminis you can see through at night...

<< a bigger drain >> above water line...

Too dream...

Perchance to dream...

{:^)
Best
SF
Oops!
We forgot about - no mast support post inside cabin...