Re: MPH Readings and relative speed

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 21:06:53 PST

>Regards
>Rye
>
>PS Years ago I had a friend hover in an old Aironca (SP)Champ
>airplane over the grass field airport by flying into a strong head wind.
>Kids do the damnedest things....

Rye

One breezy afternoon, many years ago, I arrived at the little airport in
Gardena, CA, with the intention of renting a plane for a half-hour. The
operator shook his head and said, "Too windy today...hey, watch this!" He
directed my attention to a Taylorcraft approaching over the wires in what
must have been a at least a 40 mph wind. He descended almost vertically,
landing gently at the beginning of the runway. His landing roll was
negligible, maybe 10 feet. All seemed okay until he turned to taxi off the
runway. The windward wing lifted, and the T-Craft turned turtle.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA