Re: Anti-fouling Paint

From: Steve Eustace (eustacesteve@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 12:37:00 PST

>Three choices from West Marine:
>Their branded CPP Copolymer Ablative or
>Micron CSC or
>ACP-50
>
>does anyone have experience with the CPP ablative paint?
>

>Thanks for your help
>
>Bob Kalisz
>p-19
>Frankfort, Ky.

Bob,

In addition to my P15, I have a Compac 16 which I keep in a slip year round
at my sailing club in North Texas. I don't have any experience with the CPP
ablative paint, but I have been using the Interlux Micron CSC for several
years and I'm very happy with it's performance. When I first got the
Compac, it had some bottom blistering which I repaired. I then applied 5
coats of Interlux 2000/2001 epoxy barrier coat followed by one coat of red
CSC and two coats of blue CSC. When the red starts to peek through, I know
it's time to repaint. The three coats on my 16 foot boat took a little less
than three quarts, and they were pretty thick coats. I like the Micron CSC
because it holds up well in the water, and is recommended for boats that
will be stored on a trailer from time to time because it doesn't degrade.
Generally you realize the greatest economy when using the best quality
materials, but price is not always a true indicator of quality. West Marine
has a "paint expert" on staff at their main location. Why don't you give
him a call? It will be worth your while.

Best regards,

Steve Eustace
P15 #1157 Kokopelli
Euless, Texas