Pottering in February

From: Bill Boyer (antares6527@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 14:02:08 PST

Fellow Potter Enthusiasts,
The main reason I bought my Potter was to easily go
sailing at a variety of locations with little fuss. I
live in Southern California where the weather makes
this possible year round. Yesterday I took a fit and
dragged my Potter, Lil, to Mission Bay in San Diego;
about 80 miles south of my home. I launched at De Anza
Cove, a free launching ramp near to I-5. The wind was
light to start, but freshened later. I sailed near
Marine World and noticed the grandstands where the
whales perform were empty. Must be the off season. I
sailed into Mariners' Cove where you can anchor for 72
hours at no charge. There were about 10 sailboats
anchored there enjoying the sunny afternoon. Later I
sailed to the bay where the yacht club is. I counted
over 70 sailboats under sail enjoying an afternoon of
racing. My course took me through the starting line.
Uncontrolled chaos! When the wind died down I motored
back to the De Anza ramp, put the boat on the trailer
and headed for home. Not a bad day for Pottering. I
think Mission Bay would be an excellent day sail
destination for the Southwestern Potter Club this
summer. (Feb 20, 2000)

Bill Boyer
P15 Lil
Aliso Viejo, CA