Re: Refinishing Teak - what a difference!

From: Steve Eustace (eustacesteve@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 15:59:43 PST

"If it looks this good with the Cetol, what
>will it look like with the glossy finish that the West
>Marine guy tried to sell me to go on top of the
>cetol?" Has anyone had any experience with this
>glossy finish to go on top of Cetol? Is it worth the
>cost and extra effort? Thanks.
>
>- Scott
>Charleston

Scott,

I've never used Cetol, though I have several friends who swear by it. I used
to use teak oil, but it didn't last long and I found I was spending an
awfully lot of time keeping it looking good. I have used the Interlux Clear
Clipper varnish (now Goldspar Varnish) for several years and I am very happy
with the results. I keep my Potter in the garage, so the finish literally
lasts for years. My Compac is in the water year round where it is exposed
to the weather. Every eight weeks I scuff the finished wood with steel wool
and apply another coat. That only takes about 20 - 30 minutes, and it keeps
it looking great year around. I actually believe that varnish is less work
than using teak oil, and I love the look. If I were you, I'd go for the
glossy finish.

Best regards,

Steve Eustace
P15 #1157 Kokopelli