Re: Various (speed over water, keel boat recovery, wheel bearings, tilt trailer ...)

From: Ted Duke (tduke@rockbridge.net)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 16:35:32 PST

Eric,

My 1990 Shoreline broke a bolt on the rear support. No damage, but I
then replaced all of the bolts (except the most important one that the
tilt swivels on. Didn't even notice it. I will replace it before I
tow this year. Can't see any damage, but can't really tell without
removing it.) I would highly recommend all Shoreline owners (probably
all trailer owners) check for old rusty bolts. If a bolt breaks on a
side support you might just dump your boat into a parked car or worse
yet into oncoming traffic. Easiest way is to put the boat in the
water so you can do whatever you want.

I used stainless bolts upon the recommendation of a gent who has dealt
with boats and trailers all of his life (a retired dealer). It has
been suggested here that I shouldn't have used stainless on a
galvanized trailer. However, he said they would last longer than
galvanized and not be a problem; and so far there is no evidence of
any corrosion. I always wash the trailer down good after it's been
near the water (salt or fresh).

Ted

Eric Zilbert wrote:
snip

> My trailer is a Shoreline tilt trailer and is galvanized. Most of the
> bolts mounting the brackets etc. are rusted, but trailer looks pretty
> good otherwise. I submerge my wheels when launching, but find the
> tilt function very helpful on retrieval. It really makes the boat
> center on the trailer better. I want to swap out all the rusted
> hardware and replace the bunk boards. I am thinking about painting
> the bottom of the boat too.
>
> Any suggestions for easy ways to support the boat while
> paintingg/repairing> the trailer?

snip