RE: rudder mounting & weather helm

From: Steve Eustace (eustacesteve@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 09:02:40 PST

Hello! I'm considering purchasing a West Wight Potter 15, used. I
haven't had a chance to examine it yet, but I understand the rudder has been
remounted aft of the transom.

> thank you,
>
> Ken Rasmussen
> 6290 Ershig Road
> Bow, WA 98232
> (360) 766-8720

Ken and All,

When I was vacationing on Whidbey Island last summer, I looked at a Potter
15 for sale at a place called Adventure Marine, if my memory serves me
correctly. It was a blue boat named "Puffin", and the port was Oak Harbor.
This was an interesting boat that was set up for serious sailing. The mast
and rigging appeared to be heavier than stock, and mounted on the transom
was a homemade (though nicely done) aluminum extension that set the rudder
aft approximately 15" to 18" of the transom. I questioned the salesman
about this, and he said the owner had designed this to allow the rudder to
clear the outboard. The boat had an adjustable outboard motor bracket, and
I believe the boat came with a 2 HP Honda. I don't know if the guy knew
what he was talking about, because he wasn't too knowledgeable about the
boat. I took several pictures because of the interesting modifications, and
I'm looking at them as I type this. Is this the same boat?

Steve Eustace
P15 #1157
Euless, Texas

Do you need a plan B? Learn how you can start your own internet biz.
http://www.rexall.com/rxforsuccess