Re: Lake Mead saililng?

From: Duncan McCoy (duncan@anv.net)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 11:41:53 PST

Brian --

Lake Mead is a great place to sail! Where you launch depends on which
part of the lake you want to sail. In the lower basin (Boulder Basin) there
are full-service marinas (launch, store, restrooms, courtesy docks, camping,
etc.) at Las Vegas Bay (closest to Las Vegas and Henderson), Lake Mead
Marina (below Boulder City) and Callville Bay. In the Overton Arm, the full-
service marina is Echo Bay and on the Arizona side the full-service marina is
Temple Bar.

If all you need to do is launch, you can do that at Hemenway Harbor (below
Boulder City), Government Wash (off the Northshore Road) or Overton Beach
(south of Overton).

In the spring, in the Boulder Basin, wind is usually from the east to ESE
and sometimes from the north. In summer, afternoon winds in Boulder
Basin often shift around to the south and SSW.

I hope you have reef points in your main and jiffy reefing rigged.
Wind can come up strong and suddenly. You'll find that the rugged
topography around Lake Mead can create interesting swirls and dead
spots. An area to be careful in is the area north of Sentinel Island, in
the main channel of the river NW of Balck Canyon and the Dam. In
this area, south winds coming up Black Canyon and down Hemenway
Wash create wind funnels and these funnels converge just north of
Sentinel Island. If you've got a 20-knot wind from the south, you can
easily have 35-40 knots north of Sentinel Island. This can be surprising,
if you're not ready for it.

I'd recommend you plan to launch at Lake Mead Marina, about 5 miles
below Boulder City. If you want to camp, there's a campground about
1/2 mile away and all the services you need will be at the marina. You can
tie up overnight at the marina for a small fee.

If you decide to go to Lake Mead Marina, let me know and I'll
sail with you (got my boat slipped there).

Duncan R. McCoy
Boulder City, NV

Capri 18 #133 "Sloop du Jour"

duncan@accessnv.com