Theoretical rig design 101

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 06:54:59 PST

Hi Alan,

The thread on the TSBB was about theoretical performance advantages of
various rig designs. My comment wasn't terribly relevant to Potter 19's.

Newer boats designed purely for racing and setting speed records have very
"high aspect" sails - very tall mainsails with rounded heads and a big
roach. The jibs are also very tall and shorter from luff to clew, with a
small overlap. That's the best design for developing higher lift to drag
ratios.

If you're dsigning a brand new racing boat with some rules limiting total
sail area, the faster rig will be very tall compared to the older racing
boats of a decade or two ago. The America's Cup boats look like that.

It's not relevant to sailing the P19 - unless you plan to redesign replace
the whole rig for racing (not likely -- the boats a cruiser, not a racer!).
The main and various jibs for the P19 are just fine as they are and well
desiigned for cruising in a wide variety of wind conditions.

One easier-t0-read book on the design of sails is Tom Whidden's _ARt and
Science of Sails_, if you want the theory behind all this.

Fair winds, Judy B