Re: Gel Coat and Bottom Paint

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 21:12:00 PST

> As an aspiring Potter owner, I am struggling with the new vs. "used"
> question. Much of my concern about an older boat has to do with
> potential repairs and maintenance of the hull. I was wondering if
> someone on the list could enlighten me about the relationship between

> gel coat and bottom paint?
>
> My understanding is that gel coat is the outside (protective) coating

> of fiberglass and resin, designed to keep the water (and water vapors)

> out.

My understanding is that its much more of a cosmetic, smooth, shiny coating.
fiberglass resin is remarkably water-resistant, and potter's (by and large)
aren't terribly susceptible to blistering. A few of us get 'em now and then,
but I don't have any reason to believe water permeation is widespread among
WWPs.

>On the other hand, bottom paint is put on to keep various
> creatures and plants from taking up residence on your hull.

Yep.

> Now for a few questions:
>
> 1. Can bottom paint be used to repair (and revive) an older boat with

> aging (read cracking) gel coat? Or is its only purpose as a growth
> inhibitor?

I guess it depends on the cracks. I'd be inclined to fix cracks with gelcoat
repair paste before applying any bottom coat. And the bottom of your boat is
a good place to practice, since if you screw up or get the color matching wrong,
you can cover it with paint :)

> 2. Once you've gone the painted route, are you committed to
> maintaining a boat with a painted bottom?

Hard to say. i think if you use a sandless bottom prep and an ablative paint,
you'll be much less committed. If you do like I did and actually sand the bottom,
plus use an epoxy paint, its a little harder to un-do.

> Any insights would be appreciated!

Where are you planning on sailing? salt/freshwater? plan on mooring it or simply
trailering every time you use it?

-Eric Johnson, P19#461 "Victoria", Bothell, WA
http://www.nwlink.com