VHF or Cellphone - Offshore? Be safe get the VHF

From: SolarFry@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 18:26:20 PST

Michael:

If you go offshore get a VHF. There is no other way to get help offshore in
an emergency. Most people do not realize that there is no equipment to
locate the direction of a cellphone call, they can only trace and locate a
VHF call.

The reason for a vhf is that most rescue vessels have radio direction
finders. There is no capability of locating a cell phone call. Therefore
hours will pass if you have an emergency and radio for help with a cellphone.
If you are offshore they may never find you. With VHF they can triangulate
your position.

A lot of the individuals asking whether they need a VHF or cellphone are
usually looking for an excuse to get a cellphone. They are not as concerned
about being located in an emergency. Others may already have cellphones and
are trying to excuse the need for spending money on a vhf.

Best
SF

In a message dated 2/28/00 4:46:53 AM Pacific Standard Time, HandyM2@aol.com