Cell Phone, VHF, and coast gaurd financing.

From: Thomas Bodine (tbodine@onr.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 15:44:16 PST

> From: Eric Johnson [mailto:etj@nwlink.com]
> My experience comes from listening and reading reports of the
> CG in Puget Sound. Elsewhere the policies may be different.
Eric

Your observations have brought to mind a story I read in a recent issue of
boat U.S. magazine.

In this issue the authors related story about a vessel that sank off a jetty
near Washington D.C.
the skipper and his crew were father and son. They were sailing a small
Catalina style boat near a jetty, when they ran into the jetty in the fog.
Their VHF had low batteries therefore the Coast Guard was not able to pick
up their signal.
The radio man on watch heard a signal, but it was too weak and broken up for
him to copy, therefore he decided not to report the signal.

The skipper's wife is one of those interesting sorts of people that
complains loudly when her spouse dies. She got the attention of her
congressman who brought the issue up before Congress. The result is a new
bill that will finance the Coast Guard to a higher level which will be
presented this spring.

Along with better radios the coast gaurd will be able to pay better and
acquire new equipment. Many of their cutter's are forty years old or more.

I intend to bug my congressman about this.

# Regards Thomas L. Bodine @
# Skipper Potter 19 "Frimi" #1019 `-|-'
# Dancing to the music life has given me.^,
# http://www.onr.com/user/tbodine