RE: Broken reinforcement on P19

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 21:36:17 PST

> Great!. Must not be a widespread problem. So the fiberglas wasn't so
> daunting once you got into it? I haven't done any yet and would
> be hesitant
> to do it, although I will when I need to get something fixed.

Naw, it wasn't too bad. Fortunately, the place i needed to fix was perfect
for a first project. It was easily accessible under the v-berth seat, but
out of the way and not a cosmetic thing, so if i was a little sloppy, it
would still be ok. To be honest, the patched area is smoother and looks
quite a bit better than the original, though nobody gets many style points
for the way things look under the berth!

The only thing i wish i did different was to NOT use my air-powered circular
sander to rough up the fiberglass - this tossed way too much FG dust all
over. I should have just hand-sanded it.

Now that I'm more comfortable with FG fabrication my mind has been wandering
to all sorts of other projects I can do. I think I might add a storage
compartment along the
port sink/cabinet, similar to the cockpit storage compartment, so I can toss
a few things in there so i don't have EVERYTHING in the sink. I'm also
considering tightening up the inside of the daggerboard trunk so the DB
doesn't clunk around so much, both when its up and when its down.

Now if only I can learn to weld stainless! :) I've got a mig welder and am
pretty good with mild steel, I've just never tried stainless. I could really
have some fun then!