Finishing Teak

From: Rye Gewalt (ryeg@vais.net)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 15:49:38 PST

Through the good graces of Ted Duke, I am replacing the hatch rails on
the top of my 1990 P19 (...er HMS18) with new ones made of Teak. I
already have teak handrails.

How do others on the list finish their teak. I noted on Nelson
Laporte's new P19 that International Marine had put some sort of
penetrating varnish on the hand rails. I have been oiling the teak, but
since I keep my boat in a slip, they always look shoddy and need
periodic 'lightening' and the grain tends to open up a bit each time.

I suspect that the rails help to stiffen the top of the cabin when the
board is raised -- or at least it sags less with the rails in place when
the board is raised.

Regards
Rye Gewalt
1990 short rig Potter 19
Springfield, VA
Sailing on the Potomac near Billy Clinton's house