Re: P19/P15- Stuff for sale and free -- SF Bay Area

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 19:17:12 PST

Judy wrote:

>FREE: If anybody needs one, I have the original **BOOM** with gooseneck
>that came with my P19. Exactly the same as the new P19 boom. It's up for
>grabs. It would be very difficult to ship something 8 feet long, so you'll
>have to come get it. It's quite functional. Could easily be adapted for
>use on a P15.

The 10-foot Sunfish mast for my lateen rig was sent from Texas via UPS. It
wasn't packaged, just had a label stuck on it. The cost was only about $10,
and it arrived in good condition.

>He also had the batten pockets
>removed and the roach cut in a straight line from the head to the clew.
>That's called a swedish leech I think. I don't know why he did that to the
>sail -- maybe just in case he got caught in a hurricane or something? He
>sailed Redwing all over the west coast single handed, so maybe he figured it
>was a safety feature?!?

I've read that it is common for cruising sailors to use a roachless main to
eliminate the sail wear and other problems associated with battens. The
roach tends to develop flutter as the sail stretches, even with battens.
The original gunter main on Manatee had that problem, and a sailmaker just
removed the roach between the two battens.

On the other hand, my lateen sail has a straight leach and still flutters.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA