Fine Day for Sailing Bodega Bay

From: Eric Zilbert (eezilbert@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 10:12:20 PST

All - Visited old friends in Sebastapol on Saturday (North of San
Francisco), and we all went for a hike out on Bodega Head. It was a
beautiful day for sailing, but we weren't, neither was anyone else. That
is except for some sail-boarders who were ripping up the bay and inner
harbor. I would estimate it was blowing more than 20 kts. The view from
the Bodega Head light to the south was a panorama of cliffs and seascape.
The light is not a very romatic affair, just a large light-bulb on a pole
inside a fence which had two large day markers attached to it in haphazard
fashiion. In the distance I could just make out the trees of Hog island
inside Tomales bay, about 8 miles away. Just to the west, the northern
headlands of Point Reyes presented a knobbed hump rising out of the sea,
carpeted in green except for the steep brown cliffs along the shore.
Further to the west lies the open ocean. The sweel looked like 5-6 ft from
the Northwest with whitecaps. Inside the bay it was very flay with a few
white caps further out. The Bay looks surprisingly narrow, and the rocks
on the shore to the Easy are jagged and foreboding like the teeth of the
Great Whites which are said breed in the area. Overall the sheltered area
of the bay seemed fairly small, I could see how one would want to be sure
to keep an eye on the weather and stay away from shore. Fog would indeed
make things tricky. The Harbor mouth is very narrow and not far from its
openning, mmediately to the south of where I stood, about a 1/4 mile off
shore from where I stood is Bodega Rock. If visibility were limited and
the tide high, one could easily find oneself on this reef. Waves were
breaking on the west side and I could hear the sealions racket.

All in all very picturesque and good conditions for reaching up and down
the bay while staying reasonably dry. The beach on the north end (Doran
Beach), was picture perfect, white sand , and only tiny waves lapping the
shore, I could imagine a Potter pulled up there for a picnic. Well,
perhaps another Spring day will find us there. In the mean time I still
need to finish re-finishing my hatch and replace the bunk boards on the
trailer (and do my #@&%$& taxes!). Hope all is well and things are
starting to thaw. -Eric

Eric Zilbert
Davis "not by the sea" California