Re: Lowering mast while underway

From: RAeschlima@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 17:34:22 PST

In a message dated 3/17/00 9:14:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
BOIVINRA@ene.gov.on.ca writes:

<< One problem which I am trying to deal with is the need to lower my mast to
get under low bridges during some portions of my trip this summer. Lowering
the mast is not a problem but supporting the spar at the stern is proving to
be problematic. >>

Ray,

I've sailed out of Anaheim Bay to Catalina several times and this
necessitates sailing under a bridge. Since I am usually sailing single-handed
and the channel can be rough with wakes from power boats this has been fun at
times. I do not rest the mast but only lower it sufficiently to get it under
the bridge and then raise it back up as soon as I'm under it. Whatever you
use for a crutch should be able to hold the mast steady in a rough water
situation, and if you have a back-stay watch out for your prop, etc.
Temporary shrouds, well tensioned for the mast half-way down are a MUST!

Ralph Aeschliman
HMS-18 #67 Moby Duck
Flagstaff, AZ